Thursday 21 February 2013

Calgon/Ilex are full of shit!


It is widely reported across the internet that Calgon products used to be tested on animals when they were owned by Reckitt Benckiser, but that the testing stopped when Ilex took over ownership. 

Goudlylox Reviews happily posts "Calgon does not test on animals. When Calgon was owned by their previous parent company, they were listed as testing on animals according to PETA. I've spoken to Ilex, the new parent company, and they assured me that they don't test on animals."

On their Facebook page, Erica Writsel wrote "I asked if your products were cruelty free and was told yes. I went to the store and saw no not tested on animals label, researched online and saw that you do test on animals :(" Calgon replied "We do not test our products on animals. We're sorry you read that online."

For a brief shining moment, I was happy. I've been trying in vain to find other marshmallow and cotton candy scents that do not test on animals (and preferably are entirely cruelty free). I've even tried looking up home-made recipes to make my own...but I can't find any such recipes in the scents that I want. So I was happy, thinking "YES! I can still buy Calgon and not feel guilty about it!" Because honestly, their stuff smells awesome and is fairly affordable.

Then I looked at the back of their Cotton Candy body lotion (I still have some of their products bought in my days of ignorance)....made in China.


As The Beauty Diaries sums perfectly "Basically these companies (and this is true to my knowledge) sell their products in China, which requires animal testing by law. Therefore, these companies still test their products on animals, regardless of what their flimsy statements say."

There is a very informative article here about some of China's horrible methods and cruelty towards animals. It's very heart-breaking, especially combined with the images of the tiny cages they live in.  Another post about the treatment of zoo animals in China. 

Animals aren't the only ones to suffer in China. As the name of this site so aptly puts it, China sucks (for many reasons)! 



2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this post, I've spent far too much time this morning browsing various sites and finding all kinds of different opinions on whether or not Calgon does or does not test on animals, and some that only mention the cleaning products while I am specifically looking for the body wash. Someone gave me some of their products as a gift and stated unequivocally that they had first ensured that they were at least not animal tested, if not cruelty free. I absolutely appreciated the gift, but became suspicious when I (similar to what the author stated) saw they did not have any indication on the bottle of this. So thank you for settling this for me, I really liked their products but unfortunately will not be spending any money with them until they change their policies. Grazie!

    ReplyDelete